Here’s another Not Your Average Woman! I love meeting non-average women in Singapore who don’t compromise on style even though anything above a UK12 is overpriced or usually too mumsy in our size Zero Asian-physique shops. I, for example, find it difficult as a UK16/18 to buy anything in the local shops because they don’t bring in more than a few pieces of anything above UK14! If not, they’re of poor quality and, you know… make you look like you’re 50 (uhm… I’m just a few years shy of 40 by the way).
So hello, meet Khai who works at Singapore’s independent performing arts centre – The Substation! What do you think about that? Singapore – seemingly devoid of culture, still has pockets of character. Today instead of going to Khai’s house (as I normally do with my other interviewees), I have gone to visit Khai at her second home.
Read about Khai’s fashion philosophy here:
- What is your dress/shoe size? Depending on the fit for shoes – size 7 or 8, sometimes 9 also. Heh. Dress size – UK 14
- Describe Your Style I think my style is “lepak but presentable”. Haha. Actually I don’t have a certain style, but i know I’m very mismatch with colours. So i sometimes try all kinds of colours. But i’m most comfortable with basics , like black but then I’ll accessorize it , to not make it look too boring.
- What do you normally wear to work or a work event/meeting? The best work wear are dresses. Loose fitting dresses, mid length dresses, dressy tops with tights, anything dressy like. Just because it’s just a one piece clothing, comfortable and no fuss.
- Where and how do you shop? I usually shop at Haji Lane, in town, Orchard – or best online ( ASOS) especially since it’s free shipping. I like to shop alone. Because I would pick up a few stuffs to try on, and go back and forth to the dressing room. If I go with friends, you don’t get that luxury. If there’s SALES even better. I will always go to the “Sales Rack” first, because you will never know what you can find there. In shopping, there are good days and bad days 🙂 so, sale rack, check size, colour, try it on, if it fits, BUY!
- What are your favourite things to buy? First on the list is always dresses. Dresses with sleeves. I don’t really like sleeveless dresses, as my arms are not really that ‘appealing’ . Heh. So dresses with sleeves, long sleeves, mid length sleeves, skater dresses, dressy dresses, cardigans (if i can’t resist a sleeveless dress) but right now, i’m all about necklaces. Anything bold and colorful.
- What are your favourite brands or shops? I like new look, forever 21, Dorothy Perkins, H&M, Springfield & UNIQLO
- How do you dress on your blah-days? Good shades, tees ,shorts and havianas. Or sometimes, i hide in my room , i don’t want to go out.
- When you were 12, what did you imagine your life would be like at your current age? At 12, i was in primary 6. I imagined that I’ll be slimmer or taller. I was a fat kid, but nothing change. Forever in TAF Club. I remember telling myself that i have a long way to become an adult. But i will figure out my career. I will find someone who loves me. I have a whole lifetime and that time takes time. It has been 14 years, and i think the 12 year old khai would be very proud of me, today. I’m not slimmer,but i think my life, as i imagine back then, would be colorful with ups and downs, surrounded by amazing and genuine friends and family and have a full time job by then and be able to buy whatever i fancy.
So Khai has been working for The Substation for almost a year and she feels that she still has a lot to learn, experience and experiment with. At her day job, she often works with artists, musicians and bands, but she is also an aspiring playwright and director who will be debuting her first work soon.
So good luck to Khai on her debut work called “Penantian“. 3 & 4 May 2013. 8pm. $20. The Substation Theatre!