Here’s something I made from scratch – burger patties and the burger buns! If I can do it, so can you. The burger buns recipe is actually French Bread Rolls to Die For found on allrecipes.com. I will continue experimenting with the bread but the patties are good on their own, so if you have no bread, just eat them alone anyway.
The recipe below is for 6 burger patties and is an original.
Serves 6. Prep time: 20 minutes. Cooking time: 30 minutes.
2 cups water
1/2 cup dried lentils
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup diced canned tomatoes (I used Fire Roasted but you can use any kind)
2 cups beans (I used chickpeas but you can use pinto or anything else)
1 cup corn kernels
1 cup shredded cheddar (I used Cheddar Jack)
1 cup breadcrumbs (I used Panko because it’s so crunchy)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground tumeric (Optional)
2 large eggs (beaten)
1. Boil lentils in water for about 15 to 20 minutes until tender. Drain and mash.
2. In a large mixing bowl add all the ingredients (tomatoes, beans, lentils, corn, cheese, spices, egg, breadcrumbs except olive oil) and mix till thoroughly combined. Best to use hands and feel free to squish everything. Quite fun! LALAALA…
3. Divide the mixture into 6 patties.
4. Fry the patties in olive oil over medium-high heat. Try not to crowd the pan. Cook 3 – 5 minutes on each side until brown.
5. Serve on its own or in a burger bun!
YUM! I popped the 2 leftover patties into a toaster oven for lunch the next day and it was soooo good with extra spicy sambal!